Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The 12 Days of Christmas ~ Day 2: Broccoli & Nutmeg Soup




Day 2 of my 12 Days of Christmas is probably my favourite soup of all time (if I had to choose!) and for me it just wouldn't be Christmas without this soup. We always have out big turkey dinner in the evening so at lunch time we have a selection of sandwiches and appetizers and always a hot bowl of this soup to warm us up and fill us with lots of energy for opening our presents! If you prefer however, it also makes a delicious starter to your Christmas dinner, just make sure to leave room for your turkey as you will be more than tempted to have second helpings of this!

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 leek, roughly chopped
1 head of broccoli, roughly chopped (approx. 8oz)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg, plus extra for garnish (or 1 tsp ground nutmeg)
750ml chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
Crème fraiche & extra nutmeg to garnish

In a large pan melt the butter with the oil. Sauté the onion for 5 minutes then add the leek, broccoli, garlic and nutmeg. Gently sweat for 10 minutes then add the stock and seasoning. Simmer for 10 minutes until the broccoli is tender. Leave to cool and then blend until smooth. When ready to serve gently reheat the soup until hot and garnish with a little freshly grated nutmeg.


8 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This looks amazing! I am a big fan of broccoli and nutmeg but not sure that I've ever had them together. I really want to try this soup. Yum!
    What a great tradition to have a light lunch too! I may have to steal that tradition from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how beautiful! I've never had a nutmeg version of broccoli soup! Looks wonderfully creamy and flavorful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this soup... I add a couple of sweet potatoes too which makes it really smooth and silky... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!
    Maggie - If you like Broccoli & Nutmeg you will love this soup! Honestly I love all soup but this is my favourite! It's so simple to make but the taste is unbelievable!!

    Kiri - Thank you! For some reason I still can't get onto your website! It's driving me crazy! Need to get hubby to look at my computer and see why it is doing what it is....sorry - desperate to read your blog!

    Dom - What a great idea! I never would have thought...thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never try before to make brokoli in a soup. these look delicious, and the ingrdients are easy to get in here.... i think Im gonna try it :)

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just spotted this soup, it looks perfect for our Christmas soup competition if you fancy entering? http://bit.ly/LQAS80

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lyndz, I remember this soup from our time in Clifton Road and hoped it was up here as I have a glut of Brocolli! cxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! It is still one of my all time favourite soups! Hope you enjoyed it x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...