Friday, October 8, 2010

Cheat's Aioli

When I think of aioli it reminds me of holidays in France with my family. We would always go and buy the most delicious, fresh crevettes for lunch and then bask in the sun while leisurely peeling off the shells then dipping them into the perfect accompaniment of aioli. It is simple, delicious food at it's finest.

Aioli is similar to mayonnaise (oil and egg base) with the difference being the addition of garlic. You can add as much garlic as you like as it is meant to be quite pungent, however I find that one fat clove, finely crushed is strong enough for me. This recipe is quick and easy and although I have to admit it's not quite the same as making your own from scratch, it is delicious. You can use it for so many things - I use it as a dipping sauce for prawns, crab (Feeling crabby?!?), potato wedges and even to top my delicious wild mushroom bruschetta.

Cheat's Aioli

125ml good quality mayonnaise
1 fat clove of garlic, crushed (I like to use my microplane)
Squeeze of lemon juice
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper

Simply mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl and use as needed. Keep any leftovers in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...